Sunday, May 6, 2012

On a Roll

This weekend I completed one more painting – a smaller one for good measure – that I will be taking to a meeting with me tomorrow (perhaps more news on that soon!). I'm really enjoying this flow of creative energy I've been having lately, sure, spurred by deadlines, but wonderful nonetheless. School isn't quite over yet and this is a good sign for my productivity in the studio come summer break.

All while in the studio finishing this up today, the Earth, Wind, and Fire song "September" was playing in my head, hence the title. It seemed appropriate somehow, too. It feels a bit like that time of year.

September, 16" x 20", acrylic on canvas, 2012.

Meanwhile, there I was in my studio with both big windows wide open letting the fresh air, lovely sunshine, and city noises waft in. When I take my "step away" breaks from painting, I like to lean in the open window and admire the view – a small city park right across the street, and just the general sort of small cityness that is Niagara Falls. I have a love/hate relationship with it. When I am in the studio, though, I always love it.

This painting was one of those that came very easy with little trouble at all. Of course it had its awkward adolescence phase, but it didn't last long. I am happy with the lovely subtle color shifts that happen here – unfortunately hard to see really well in a photo (you can and should click to enlarge, though!). There are some yellow tones coming through the pale blue sky, and some unexpected colors on the roof line and to the right of the house – see that deep olive green diagonal line that connects with a line of washy red and blue? You can't plan that kind of thing, and it is always a thrill when it happens. 

1 comment:

http://boxed-roomer.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

Ahh I seem to be able to make out features, eyes, nose & mouth.

<>

One house all alone in our street

It would nice to hear the patter of other feet

After Madness (The group - not happiness)